The Bayshore Center will be re-opening July 2, 2020, Thursday – Sunday. The Delaware Bay Museum and the Meerwald Mercantile (our brand new gift shop) will be open 12 – 5 pm. The Oyster Cracker Cafe will be open 12 – 7 pm.
We will be maintaining social distancing and masks will be required except when seated at one of our outdoor tables enjoying your meal – purchased from the Oyster Cracker Cafe. Please call 856-785-2060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The Bayshore Center at Bivalve success can be directly tied to its volunteers. Each year dozens of people donate hundreds of hours as docents, educators, deckhands, gardeners, woodworkers, shuckers, board members, etc.The Bayshore Center at Bivalve is a fun and exciting place to volunteer whether it’s as a crew member on the AJ Meerwald, a docent in the Delaware Bay Museum or in the Oyster Cracker Café. Volunteer positions include:
- Deckhand – The deckhand is responsible for a variety of duties involved in operating the ship. These duties include sail handling, navigation, rigging, greeting passengers and assuring their safety, handling dock lines, operating the push boat dinghy, food preparation, running errands, merchandise sales, maintenance (painting and varnishing), and cleaning the schooner. No experience is needed. Training, food and bunks provided. The Meerwald docks in ports throughout NJ.
- Docent – Docents conduct guided tours of the Museum for groups of students and adults. Utilizing the techniques of dialogue and inquiry, role play and storytelling, the docent encourages visitors to explore the Delaware Bay Museum. The museum programs may explore topics such as oystering and life along the Delaware Bay. Docents assist in the development of educational programs and conduct special activities for students, adults and families
- Educator – Bayshore educators provide hands on educational programs to children and adults regarding the human impact on the aquatic environment. Background in education and environmental studies is ideal but not required.
- Other – the Bayshore Center has a host of other volunteer opportunities including assistance in office operations, data entry, maintenance, grounds keeping, programming etc. If you have other talents that may benefit our organization ,please let us know.
- Board Members – The Bayshore Center is always interested in hearing from individuals interested in serving on its board of directors. Board members assist in setting the organizations mission, vision and ensuring its financial viability. Members of the board are expected to attend regularly scheduled meetings (6 -8 meetings per year) as well as be available for committee and ad hock meetings. Persons with a background in finance, education, environmental studies, law, fundraising and maritime operations are particularly desirable.
- For more information contact Teri Watson at email@example.com or 856 785-2060.